Head of Cyber Security
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2023
Jane is looking for a highly motivated and experienced departmental leader for our Cyber Security Team.
Our Head of Cyber Security is a senior level role, responsible for overseeing Jane’s overall cyber security, including design, development, implementation, incident response, budgets, and compliance requirements. We are open to both Senior Manager and Director Level for the right individual. As leader of this team, you'll contribute to overall cybersecurity strategy by identifying growth opportunities based on the latest threats, as well as managing security personnel (Cloud and Application), and reporting on the company’s cyber security posture.
What does our team do? The Cyber Security team at Jane seeks to improve the digital safety of customer data, provide innovative, seamless security services, and create long-lasting relationships with our various internal teams. We are looking for a lifelong learner that is passionate about the security space with proven skills in building and executing on corporate security visions, developing risk assessment platforms, threat methodologies and the application of security frameworks. This person must have experience in creating a security environment and measurable impact on a broader development organization, with a proven track record of identifying and handling security breaches, prevention and mitigation.
This role suits a cyber security governance specialist who has a proven track record of building & maturing a security team within a growing software development organization. Your team will be responsible for analyzing the security of applications, services and infrastructure, vendor-provided solutions, discovering and addressing security issues, building security automation, and quickly reacting to new threat scenarios. With your history of helping shape and communicate a business’ threat appetite, you'll ultimately be set up to deliver in this role.
Who will you collaborate with? Through your work with the Product and Engineering teams, you will make important contributions towards realizing our multi-year goals to improve our security posture; so that Jane can continue to securely help the helpers.
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. Building a delighted team who can delight our customers is part of Jane’s DNA. In our most recent company-wide health check, 99% of our team agreed that our founders demonstrate people are important to Jane’s success. On top of that, 98% of our team felt Manager cares about them as human beings and that they are supported when needing to arrange time off from work. We’d never claim to be perfect, but we’re working hard to listen to our people and improve each day.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it's important that we start with a bit about what makes our company unique and try to be as transparent as possible. Our values also provide some insights into Jane and hopefully, you’ll have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Before we were Jane, our Co-Founders were solving problems for their own clinics not realizing that a few years later, this team would grow to support tens of thousands of healthcare practices in more than 60 countries. Our platform is now helping to modernize the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, telehealth, and billing along with an evolving library of features. You can see more of them here. Although we’ve grown, still to this day, we’re rooted in solving clinics’ problems and making sure we don’t lose sight of Jane’s vision.
We have remained profitable for the past seven years, we’re product-led and growing organically (and responsibly) to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 400 Janers who are doing an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, some of our team block out their calendars to pick up their children from school (and this is normal at Jane), and we even have a #kids channel in Slack. We’re not a clock-in clock-out system-type environment. With that being said, we’re not going to paint the picture of a perfect environment either. We’re a company that’s scaling quickly, we have many moving parts, many of us are doing this for the first time and sometimes, we don’t have processes in place or clear views which can require a lot of resourcefulness and a passion for problem-solving.
With all that to say, if you’re looking for an environment where you can grow, stretch yourself, and work with some incredibly talented people on problems that are positively impacting people's lives, Jane could be the place for you.
So what’s happening in 2023? We’re iterating on our existing product to make our customers more successful and we’re working on some complex technical challenges with the goal of operating with a world-class cadence for building and deploying products. From decoupling complex parts of Jane, increasing the predictability of our roadmap, and creating a greater flow for maximum effectiveness of teams. To provide some context into our growth, in 2022, we processed over 93 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone receives on average, 740 million API calls per week. This is up from 250 million per week in 2021!
Of course, it's not all about the numbers, but this puts into perspective the scale of Jane, from the thousands of practitioners whose lives are made easier each day to the millions of patients receiving treatment. If you’re the type of person excited by this growth, we’d love to speak with you.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead the inception, implementation and creation of a security culture & policy. You’ll do this by influencing a broad acceptance, consensus and understanding of a cybersecurity vision for Jane's teams that can be described as robust and practical, yet effective.
- Lead the creation of observability and reporting standards that give solid understanding to leadership of Jane’s security maturity, direction and velocity.
- Be responsible for measurable improvements in cyber security standards across the Jane development team & Cloud based infrastructure.
- Deliver an accepted and budgeted departmental growth plan for the Cyber Security Team.
What we’re looking for from you:
- You’ve planned, implemented, monitored and iterated on a security vision for data and cyber security protection at an organizational level in a growing software development company before.
- You’ve got a proven record of growing a fledgling security team to meet the demands of a growing organization, including staff, hiring and budget management.
- You have history in managing security strategy, security awareness programs, security architecture, and security incident response.
- Your ability to provide strategic risk guidance for IT projects includes both evaluation and recommendation of technical controls.
- You’ve proven mentorship ability to educate leaders on appropriate security risk and mitigation strategies.
- Your ability to oversee training and dissemination of security policies and practices is strong.
- You have an understanding of how to evaluate new cyber security threats and IT trends and develops effective security controls.
- You’ve also got experience in establishing cyber security and risk metrics for reporting.
- Lastly, your foundational management skills are well-practiced, including: budget development and administration, policy development and implementation, personnel administration, staff training and development.
- Experience in the healthcare space with an understanding in the complexities of compliance-driven environments
As well as a great team, you'll have…
- The ability to work from anywhere in Canada. We also have some flexibility to occasionally work outside of Canada.
- An equitable approach to compensation means compensating you for the positive impact you have on our customers, product, and people.
- Jane’s Employee Stock Option Plan. Jane is privately owned, growing very fast and operating profitably. Profitable hyper-growth rarely happens at our scale. When it does, it creates value quickly (it already has for many of our team members).
- A flexible time off package that includes your vacation time, holiday gifted time off for everyone at Jane, and your birthday off (because who wants to work on their birthday?)
- Jane provides extended health care benefits to you and your dependents starting on your very first day. You’ll receive $750 per individual Allied Health discipline along with $2,000 in coverage for Registered Clinical Counsellors, Psychotherapists, Psychologists, and Social Workers.
- A $500 wellness spending account to use towards maintaining your health and wellness in whatever way works best for you.
- Parental top-up that allows Janers to plan for the future.
- Access to eCounselling, primary care, legal and financial counselling, and career coaching.
At Jane, we’re committed to fostering an environment that allows you to come to work as your truest self. We believe it’s important to actively recognize, embrace, and celebrate our differences in order to make Jane an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace.
We want to build a team of people who make conversations rich with perspective and experience. We are committed to listening to every voice in order to learn and grow because doing this will allow us to meet the needs of the diverse community of helpers that Jane serves.
We do not tolerate discrimination, prejudice, or oppressive isms of any kind. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, experience, and the needs of the Jane community. We encourage anyone who requires accommodation or adjustments throughout the interview process to let us know, and we will do our best to support you.
See more open positions at Jane App
Something looks off?