Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Posted on Tuesday, April 4, 2023
We’re looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join Jane’s Platform & Enablement Team. This team ensures that Jane is a stable, scalable and reliable platform, capable of sustaining massive growth. We will accomplish this growth while also enabling our engineering team to continue to innovate and deliver quality solutions effectively using AWS tools and services. Our core principles revolve around the 5 pillars of reliability, scalability, security, observability, and simplicity.
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. Building a delighted team who can delight our customers is part of Jane’s DNA. In our most recent company-wide health check, 99% of our team agreed that our founders demonstrate people are important to Jane’s success. On top of that, 98% of our team felt Manager cares about them as human beings and that they are supported when needing to arrange time off from work. We’d never claim to be perfect, but we’re working hard to listen to our people and improve each day.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it's important that we start with a bit about what makes our company unique and try to be as transparent as possible. Our values also provide some insights into Jane and hopefully, you’ll have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Before we were Jane, our Co-Founders were solving problems for their own clinics not realizing that a few years later, this team would grow to support tens of thousands of healthcare practices in more than 60 countries. Our platform is now helping to modernize the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, telehealth, and billing along with an evolving library of features. You can see more of them here. Although we’ve grown, still to this day, we’re rooted in solving clinics’ problems and making sure we don’t lose sight of Jane’s vision.
We have remained profitable for the past seven years, we’re product-led and growing organically (and responsibly) to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 400 Janers who are doing an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, some of our team block out their calendars to pick up their children from school (and this is normal at Jane), and we even have a #kids channel in Slack. We’re not a clock-in clock-out system-type environment. With that being said, we’re not going to paint the picture of a perfect environment either. We’re a company that’s scaling quickly, we have many moving parts, many of us are doing this for the first time and sometimes, we don’t have processes in place or clear views which can require a lot of resourcefulness and a passion for problem-solving.
With all that to say, if you’re looking for an environment where you can grow, stretch yourself, and work with some incredibly talented people on problems that are positively impacting people's lives, Jane could be the place for you.
So what’s happening in 2023? We’re iterating on our existing product to make our customers more successful and we’re working on some complex technical challenges with the goal of operating with a world-class cadence for building and deploying products. From decoupling complex parts of Jane, increasing the predictability of our roadmap, and creating a greater flow for maximum effectiveness of teams. To provide some context into our growth, in 2022, we processed over 93 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone receives on average, 740 million API calls per week. This is up from 250 million per week in 2021!
Of course, it's not all about the numbers, but this puts into perspective the scale of Jane, from the thousands of practitioners whose lives are made easier each day to the millions of patients receiving treatment. If you’re the type of person excited by this growth, we’d love to speak with you.
What you'll be doing:
- Design, implement, and maintain infrastructure, automation and observability tooling for applications at Jane, helping create processes that enable teams to better own their services.
- Provide on-going maintenance and support of internal tools, ultimately improving system health and reliability.
- Evolve tools for automating deployment, monitoring and operations of the overall platform.
- Be proficient enough in some scripting language to help write scripts and automation.
- Take complexity in, and deliver simplicity out.
- Take a consistent approach to breaking large projects/releases down into simple pieces. You’ll do this by communicating and documenting efficiently and succinctly, and writing readable code for your team.
- Make yourself and everyone around you better, by building trust, clarifying communications, and acting with empathy and respect.
- Be driven to ensure product quality, reliability, privacy, and security are never sacrificed.
- Constantly improve: yourself, the team, and the platform.
- Be data driven: You drive to quantify your successes and failures, using metrics and dashboards.
- Have a methodical approach to problem solving, in both development and production environments.
What we’re looking for from you:
- A firm grounding in SRE Principles including Golden Signals, Automation & Self-Healing systems.
- Experience working in a SRE environment and applying SRE Principles.
- Strong command of git.
- Familiarity with a modern software stack that empowers our developers to release value to customers multiple times a day.
- Passion for continuous improvement, especially when relating to on-call. We review each incident and look for ways to prevent that condition from happening again in the future.
- Knowledge of network theory and protocols including ELB, DNS, SSL, & TCP/IP.
- Deep knowledge of principles of observability.
- Skill with one or more programming or scripting languages (e.g. bash, python, ruby).
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Expert level experience with AWS (e.g. Professional experience with AWS Services and their APIs).
- Deep understanding of Linux containers (Docker, Kubernetes).
- You feel comfortable navigating *nix environments.
- You're a Datadog power user.
- You bring Database technologies and DBA skills (ideally Postgres).
- You have experience with large scale data centre environments.
- Knowledgeable in designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed system.
- You are comfortable with terraform, or similar infrastructure-as-code systems.
- You've got a passion for systems, understanding how they work, why they fail.
If you do not meet these requirements, we still encourage you to apply.
As well as a great team, you'll have...
- The ability to work from anywhere in Canada. We also have some flexibility to occasionally work outside of Canada.
- An equitable approach to compensation means compensating you for the positive impact you have on our customers, product, and people.
- Jane’s Employee Stock Option Plan. Jane is privately owned, growing very fast and operating profitably. Profitable hyper-growth rarely happens at our scale. When it does, it creates value quickly (it already has for many of our team members).
- A flexible time off package that includes your vacation time, holiday gifted time off for everyone at Jane, and your birthday off (because who wants to work on their birthday?)
- Jane provides extended health care benefits to you and your dependents starting on your very first day. You’ll receive $750 per individual Allied Health discipline along with $2,000 in coverage for Registered Clinical Counsellors, Psychotherapists, Psychologists, and Social Workers.
- A $500 wellness spending account to use towards maintaining your health and wellness in whatever way works best for you.
- Parental top-up that allows Janers to plan for the future.
- Access to eCounselling, primary care, legal and financial counselling, and career coaching.
At Jane, we’re committed to fostering an environment that allows you to come to work as your truest self. We believe it’s important to actively recognize, embrace, and celebrate our differences in order to make Jane an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace.
We want to build a team of people who make conversations rich with perspective and experience. We are committed to listening to every voice in order to learn and grow because doing this will allow us to meet the needs of the diverse community of helpers that Jane serves.
We do not tolerate discrimination, prejudice, or oppressive isms of any kind. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, experience, and the needs of the Jane community. We encourage anyone who requires accommodation or adjustments throughout the interview process to let us know, and we will do our best to support you.
See more open positions at Jane App
Something looks off?